Tuesday, 29 January 2013

Are ghost witnesses distracted?

ShadowThink of something distracting! I don't know about you but I find it hard to do that on demand. And why would I want to be distracted? To see my 'door ghost' of course!

I'd already discovered that it IS possible to expect the door ghost and still see it. But it only happens by accident and without conscious control. Then, the other day I remembered all about the ghost and yet still saw it. How did I manage that trick? I discovered, quite serendipitously, that being heavily distracted works. It is interesting how this ties in with my previous theoretical thoughts on this subject (see here and here).

So the next time I stood in the 'correct position' to see the ghost, I tried to distract myself. That's when I discovered that it isn't so easy to just distract yourself. Needless to say, I never saw the ghost! In future I'm going to plan in advance exactly how I'm going to distract myself. It remains, for me at least, a surprisingly difficult task. It's a lot easier if something that I am not in control of happens to distract me because, ironically, I'm easily distracted.

So, is this a voluntary way of seeing known misperceptions - distraction? It may well be! I suspect that deliberately becoming distracted may only work for strong misperceptions, like the door ghost. You may also need to be liable to notice misperceptions, as I am. It will be interesting to see if I can make one of those misperceptions, that I sometimes fortuitously come across, occur multiple times. Until now that has been impossible.

Another interesting possibility would be to ask people who've seen ghosts what they were thinking about at the time of the sighting. Were they distracted by a personal problem? Or day dreaming? Or perhaps anxious because they were traversing a spooky area? All of these might indicate that they were significantly distracted and so, perhaps, more likely to misperceive. We don't normally ask witnesses questions like this which is why we may not be aware of this as a possible factor in seeing ghosts.

No comments:

Post a Comment