Friday, 1 August 2014

Possibly a shadow ghost

ShadowI was idly watching a street from the first floor of a building, like you do, when a shadow briefly appeared walking along the quiet road. It was brief because the shadow appeared only in a small brightly illuminated patch of the road. The light patch was created by the low morning sun shining through a gap in the buildings nearby. I wasn't surprised not to see the person causing the shadow because, due to the angles, they would have been concealed behind a tall fence from my angle of view. However, the person did not emerge at the end of the fence, as I expected. Nor did I see a shadow going back the way it had come. So, either the person simply stopped for no obvious reason for a very long time OR it was a ghost. Possibly a shadow ghost.

I kept watching, puzzled and intrigued. I then noticed someone, returning to a van after making a delivery, on the other side of the road. As they walked along, their shadow appeared in the same bright area, though going in the opposite direction to the first one. The new shadow looked pretty much identical to the first one.

That was when I realised my mistake. This person was almost certainly the one who had caused the first shadow, on their way to make the delivery. The bright area of road was not being illuminated by the sun through a gap in buildings but by a reflection from windows on the opposite side of the road.

As I studied the scene after this revelation my mistake suddenly appeared obvious. The angles were wrong for the light to have come directly from the sun. I've little doubt that this sort of situation could easily cause reports of ghosts, or shadow ghosts, if the witness only saw the scene briefly. In fact, it probably already has.

No comments:

Post a Comment