Wednesday, 27 August 2014

The lone orange orb

Orb flyOrbs are seen as not paranormal by many investigators these days. So why am I still bothering with them? They continue to interest me because some people continue, despite all the evidence, to think that some, at least, are paranormal. And people continue to come up with special cases that they consider may be truly paranormal. When these cases arise, and I become aware of them, I add them to the orb FAQ, which I try to keep comprehensive. I also find orbs interesting as a paranormal case history.

So I cannot resist taking orb photos. I am particularly interested in those orbs that have unusual properties. This explains why I took the photo (right) of an impressive solitary orange daylight orb. Coloured orbs are unusual with the vast majority a dull grey colour. Daylight orbs are also unusual, probably because most are caused by flash.

Orb flySo what caused the orb pictured above and why is it orange? Well, here's the culprit (right), a hoverfly. Taken as a whole, it has an overall orange hue which explains the orb colour. The reason most orbs are grey is because they are caused by dust, which is usually grey in colour.

Another interesting point to note is that the hoverfly's wings are motion-blurred. It is this blur that can turn insects into flying rods when they moving around (as opposed to hovering). Flying rods are also seen as not anomalous by many investigators but I still like to photograph them for the reasons I mentioned above. As a result, I just can't resist a chance to photograph an unusual orb or rod.

I think it is important to understand as much as possible about such phenomena, even if most people consider them 'explained'. There are people who take the position that 99% of orbs are explainable but the others are not. So it is useful to examine those remaining special cases which, so far, have proved explainable too.

No comments:

Post a Comment