Thursday, 1 October 2015

White ghost in a tree!

Greek statue (not)So, I was looking through some recent photos, as you do, when I found a ghost. I should say, straight away, that I deliberately take photos in situations where I think something resembling a ghost might appear in the resulting picture. But this was NOT one of those photos. It was, instead, a rather distant picture of a bird. I wasn't expecting anything odd in the photo at all but I could hardly miss it when I looked. I have cropped the photo (right) to highlight the ghost, otherwise it is unaltered.

To me, the pale object (top centre) looks like the profile view of a head facing left. I can see an eye, a mouth, a nose, a hairline and a neck. Shadows suggest that the head is illuminated from the left. My first thought was that it was a classical Greek statue.

So, if it most closely resembles a statue, why am I calling it a ghost? Well, one popular idea about ghosts is that they are pale or white. In reality, witnesses usually report ghosts as looking just like normal everyday people. As discussed recently (here) popular ideas about ghosts generally differ widely from real life reports. My point is that I can easily see how someone discovering this 'statue head' in a photo they'd taken might report it as a ghost.

So what is it? There is no statue, Greek or otherwise, at the location. The 'statue head' effect is clouds seen through a hole in tree branches. That it resembles a statue is pure coincidence. In the field of anomalous phenomena, coincidence is frequently mentioned in connection with subjects like precognition or telepathy. But it is actually an important factor throughout the whole field of anomalous phenomena. It can explain many apparent paranormal reports. For more on this subject see here.

No comments:

Post a Comment